Vesak Special: A Vegetarian Food Fair

On Vesak night, Thuan Hee SMSed me, saying he was watching the float. In Penang, each year, Vesak is celebrated in a grand scale. There is a big procession and a big Buddha statue would be going round town each year. Last year, I remember seeing a dance performance when Thuan Hee took me to a temple in Air Hitam . He invited me to stay another day to catch the procession but I didn't. There used to be a procession in Taiping too organised by the Thai temple but since the passing away of the old abbot, there has not been a procession since. Celebrating Vesak therefore varies from year to year and from temple to temple, I suppose. In Taiping Buddhist Sociey (TBS), each year there would be a food fair. One can use either coupons or cash to buy the food which are all vegetarian dishes. Now, when the Indian lady asked me how Vesak is celebrated, I find it ought to say that there would be a food fair, a procession, a dance performance etc etc... Vesak Day
perhaps, should be a day for meaningful contemplation...


At Taiping Buddhist Society...



...there is a food fair...


... feturing only vegetarian dishes...

Comments

Liudmila said…
I was very impressed to see here in Italy that the people understand "feast" as "food". Mostly "sweeties" that are bought in the streets. I think it is strange today that after 60 years after the war persons continue to maintain in generations this memory of hunger. I explain it in this way.
footiam said…
If feast is not about food, there is nothing else to feast on. Food is important to all of us! You must have food for all human activities, at least a drink!