Goddess to Soothe

Once, I took a bus to a hotel in Ipoh. Dragging my luggage behind me, I threw a glance in the distance and there across the road was Gunung Rapat and at its foot, I caught sight of what I figured was one of Ipoh's lesser known cave temples. Ipoh has about 30 cave temples, Taoist and Buddhist and the one I visited, Perak Kwan Yin Tong is Buddhist.  The cave temple is dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy; so, it's not surprising to find so many statues of the goddess here. The Goddess of Mercy is venerated by both Buddhists and followers of Chinese folk religions; her name being invoked by millions in time of fear, need and despair. It is said that the goddess is a male in India and Tibet  but in China, a female. Frankly speaking, I don't understand this aspect of Buddhism, the existence of goddess and all that; but I suppose if like Virgin Mary,  a being can bring solace to tired souls, why not?

Take a walk at Perak Kwan Yin Tong !









Comments