Tokyo Banana

Just the other day, I came across an article about whether Tokyo Banana is halal or non halal. Tokyo Banana, a savoury dessert from Japan is supposedly a must have for tourists. The banana- shaped sponge cake with delicious banana cream filling is not something new, having been around since 1991. The article  I came across isn't new either but the idea of a halal banana was rather new to me and surprising too. It seems that the fragrant banana cream filling of Tokyo Banana is made of bovine gelatin and liquor. Bovine of course is forbidden to the Muslims and with the presence of liquor, I wonder how the Buddhists would take it. Probably, there would be some who would think of if it as breaking the fifth of the Buddhist Five Precepts for layman,
Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami 
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.


Comments