Should Thou Drink?



Should thou drink? And by this, I mean drink the devil's drink, not just beer but all sort of alcoholic drinks that intoxicate. While on a pilgrimage to India, I remember being on the plane at the beginning of the journey and being offered a whiskey by the stewardess. I was about to take one when the lady pilgrim beside me, laughingly chided , Hey, you are going to break the fifth precept and its just the beginning of our trip! If you remember, the fifth precept is
Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami which means I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness . The precept could well means that people should not drink and thus, I let go of that glass of whiskey. Boo hoo hoo... But seriously, I would like to ask anyone who passes by, Should thou drink?

Comments

Liudmila said…
As for me, I like beer and I like wine. Not to "drink" in common sense, but as a part of a good meal.
Yes the disciples and seers should not take alcoholic drink because it breaks the physical harmony and become an obstacle for spiritual enlightment
footiam said…
Liudmila, I tend to like your idea. A good meal goes with a drink,especially red wine; though really, we don't have that for lunch or dinner! And I heard that red wine after a meal is very healthy.
footiam said…
Debasis, how about having just a cupful? If a little cup does not intoxicate, would it be all right?
Liudmila said…
I don't know about "after meal". Maybe it's not for me. Sometimes I read that it's not good to drink during the meal. But I like accompagne the tast of solid meal with the taste of wine.
footiam said…
I thought red wine is good; helps with digestion but really, I don't know. Don't drink much!
Liudmila said…
There are many things I like in this life, but there are too few that I can alow me.
footiam said…
I do like a lot of things too and thankful for the few I have!
Phillip Hodak said…
Red wine is packed with antioxidants and I believe it will help you live for a very long time because of this, as long as you maybe enjoy 1 glass a night (some people recommend 2 for men). Such things ward off cancer, heart disease, ect. Of course if you don't drink, are in recovery or simply don't like the taste of wine, opt for grape juice, but it has to be REAL grape juice, not sugar water.
footiam said…
That's great news! Maybe, we should start drinking! By the way, how about white wine?
Phillip Hodak said…
Don't think the same applies to white wine for whatever reason. Maybe it's the lack of tanins or types of grape used.
footiam said…
Tabularasa, Thanks for this information. Really do not know much about wine. So, I suppose, red and white wines originates from grapes?