Praying Dog


Tourists are attracted to Shuri Kannondo, a Zen Buddhist temple in Naha, Southern Japan. A dog there prays. Mimicking its master, priest Joei Yoshikuni, a 1 1/2-year-old black-and-white Chihuahua named Conan joins in the daily prayers. The dog sits up on its hind legs and puts its front paws together before the altar. Now, that reminds me of a story which I have heard during my pilgrimage to India. A Buddhist pilgrim, Madam Chia had told me of a dog in Penang which would follow a Buddhist monk and sits quietly when dhamma talk are being dispensed. Well, it was said that the dog listens to the dhamma talk. Now, I really wonder if dogs or other animals listen to dhamma talks. In Buddhist tales, often it is said that even devas from the celestial world would come down from heaven to listen to Lord Buddha talk; so what now animals which exists in the same plane! Now, what do you think?

Comments

Liudmila said…
:))) I found this photo and put it in one post on March 25 or 28, don't remember. I noticed, we have similar ideas from time to time.

My dogs had very strange behaviour when they discovered that I do meditation. First they were very surprized to see that I'm able to do it. Than, later, they always were very quiet when I began my practices. They looked at me with great attention and never disturbed in that period.

I understood that dogs communicate on the level that is the level of meditation for humans. It can be, that there is some difference, but I don't know.

Than I knew about researches. They were made with cats. If you enter in the state similar to meditation when your cat sits quiet but not sleeps else, and you begin to call him, the cat hears you and answers.
footiam said…
I suppose that is why dogs are man's best friend! People wouldn't stand this. They don't have the patience!