Buddha is a Taurus?



Tomorrow is 19 May. It is a holiday in Malaysia and I am sure in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Cambodia, Taiwan and in Myammar too. 19 May is Vesak Day. Vesak is supposed to be a Sinhalese term. In Cambodia, Vesak Day is known as Visakh Bochea. It is Visakah Puja, Buddha Purnima or Buddha Jayanti in India, Bangladesh and Nepal, Visakha Bucha in Thailand, Phật Đản in Vietnam, Waisak in Indonesia, Saga Dawa in Tibet, Vixakha Bouxa in Laos, Ka-sone-la-pyae in Myanmar and 佛誕 (fó dàn) in Chinese-speaking countries. Vesak Day, I understand, celebrates Buddha's birthday. If you are into Astrology you will perhaps, deduce that Buddha is a Taurus since a person under this zodiac sign is born between April 20 to May 20. While Buddhism neither deny nor encourage Astrology, most of us human beings, I suppose are drawn toward the art and what better time now to look at particularly the positive traits of a Taurus and contemplate the good qualities that should be in an enlightened being...

The positive traits of a Taurus include:

Now, which are the qualities that ought to be in a Buddha?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I really liked yout 'newsy' blog. Please have a look at mine at sdhammika.blogspot.com
footiam said…
Oh! I was surprised to find anonymous a monk! And a western one and from neighbouring Singapore to boot! I am glad to hear that you like my blog. I try to make the post short and sweet . I guess I don't have long attention span! Anyway, your blog is really interesting! Tickets please, sounds like a title from a short story by D.H Lawrence but yours is more interesting! I wish I see that in India but really, I didn't. Some trains in India like the toy train to Simla are a joy to sit, very comfortable and you have waiter to serve you too. And yes, I like your blog enough to add to my blogroll. Hope to go back to it some other time and pick up something. I am sure I have a lot to learn from you!
Author said…
Footiam, a colleague at work (Asian, a buddhist she says) told me that Buddha's birthday is not always the 19th May but varies from year to year depending on the moon... Is this true, can you confirm? Thanks.
footiam said…
As far as I know, Vesak is always celebrated in May but the date changes because over here, the lunar calendar is used and Vesak always fall on April, 15 of the lunar calendar.