An Altar at Home


I don't remember seeing an altar at home until I was around nine or ten when my mom started to have one for Tua Pek Kong, Guan Yin a.k.a Goddess of Mercy and of course, my departed grandma.An altar in the living room for the Chinese Gods like Nezha, Tua Pek Gong, Guang Gong etc etc as well as for the departed ancestors is often found in a traditional Chinese home. Chinese are traditonally Taoists, many are part Buddhists too I suppose and where there is the Buddhist influence, the altar often houses a statue of Buddha and Guan Yin. Flowers, candles and incense as well as fresh fruits are often offered on the altar. A Malay lady I know once told me that the altar takes up much of the precious space and even dirties the place; which is partly true since there will be ashes from the burnt joss sticks and the smokes often stains the wall.
A book on managing stress I have come across suggests having an altar at home where one can have a private moment with the Almighty. This is supposed to relieve stress.If you think an altar at home takes up space and dirties the home, most probably it takes up the space and dirties it. If you think, it relieves stress, then it relieves stress...

Comments

Unknown said…
I find nature being the best altar, church and temple because God is always there!
footiam said…
some people has their altar in their hearts.
Liudmila said…
You are right, everything is built by the mind.
footiam said…
Buddha said, The mind is the forerunner.