What has Buddha got to do with this?

There's this new Thai horror movie which I thought I would like to catch. The other day, Mr.Saw and I were in Sunway Carnival, Butterworth to catch a movie. Sunway Carnivall is this new big shopping mall that opened a few months ago in Butterworth, Penang and I doubt I would be there at all if not for Mr.Saw who drove me there all the way from Sungai Petani. We had wanted to watch the new wuxia Chinese movie Butterfly Lovers featuring Wu Chun and Charlene Choi but since the movie had ended its run just a day ago, we decided to opt for another. I had wanted to watch the Thai horror flick, Coffin starring Ananda Everingham and Karen Mok but since it was scheduled at nine, we opted for My Best Friend's Girl instead. About the Coffin, this Ekachai Uekrongtham directed movie is supposed to be inspired by a Thai ritual called Nang Loeng Sadorcro which means lie in a coffin and this is a ritual where people lie in coffins while death rites are performed. The ritual is to rid them of bad luck and to prolong their lives. Several years ago, a temple in northeast Thailand had organised this ritual in a mass funeral involving about 10,000 people and the ritual which lasted over two days entered the Guiness Book of Records. The movie recreated this scene and I supposed it must be the scene stated in a review I read, the scene where the audience is said to have a view of the symmetrical arrangements of hundreds of coffins forming concentric circles around a giant sitting Buddha. Now, I suppose you'd want to ask: What has Buddha got to do with this?

Comments

Liudmila said…
I think Buddha would laugh very laud about it. But as a practice to catch the fear of the death -why not?
footiam said…
We are laughing now too! I suppose there is a Buddha in us!