God and I

Teik Peng sent me a story about children in an elementary Catholic school. Children were lining up for lunch. At one end of the table where the tray of apples was, a nun had left a note : Take only one, God is watching. At the other end of the table where a tray of chocolate chip cookies was, a child had left a note: Take all you want. God is watching the apples. I was reminded instantly of a couple who are teachers in a secondary school. The pair apparently had stepped on some toes. Someone was just not happy with the husband and wife team and had threatened to sue them for something they had purportedly done. That really filled them with fear as that could mean they would lose their job and even pensions. In desperation, the couple, being the pious Christians they were, resorted to praying. That night when they took out the Bible and opened the pages, lo! They landed right on Psalm 64 : Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer, preserve my life from fear of the enemy, Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity. Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words...The couple were amazed; God was talking about their problem! Strange, only now do I have this notion that when God is talking to someone about his or her problem, He couldn't possible be talking to you or me about your or my problem. Buddhists who do not hinge their life on God probably would not know what I am talking about...

Comments

Liudmila said…
Humans don't change with time. Only closes change. So, what was important once is important today too. If you read the Bible or an other Holy Scripture of any religion, you will surely find them talking about YOUR problem.
David said…
I guess those who believe in an immanent god believe that he guides them to the answer they need when they turn to him/her/it for the answer.

That is not so unusual - go to a doctor and he will prescribe a medicine that is applicable to many people but at this time and in this case it is applicable to you specifically.
footiam said…
Liudmila, 'I ' is all important.

Thanks, David for an enlightening comment.