Practicality

Somewhere I read, Buddha was silent about the existence or non-existence of God. When pressed for an answer, he had said that it is not his business or the disciple's, who raised the question, to find out whether there is God or not. Their business is more to remove the sufferings of the world and for that, Buddha provided the Dhamma or the impersonal law in place of God. This, I suppose, is one of the reasons why some people profess themselves to be Buddhists. To some, this is just being practical.

Comments

Mab said…
This is one of the many Buddhist concepts that coincides with how I feel and expresses it so succinctly. If there is a God, I can't imagine he wants anyone to spend more time worrying about his exact nature than in helping ytheir fellow man.
footiam said…
I can't imagine too. But if there is God, so kind and understanding, woulld you think He would expect anything from you>