Missing the Dhamma


There is a joke that appeared in my e-mail about a woman who when driving her three young children out for a spin, came across a stark naked woman in a convertible. The woman and her 5-year-old child were shocked. While the woman was aghast with the woman's nakedness, the boy was more concerned about the woman's safety, I suppose. From the back seat, the boy had shouted: Mom! That lady isn't wearing a seat belt!. I remember years back during varsity days when a good Christian came over to where I was staying to get me to his church. The pastor had said that the religion he was preaching wasn't the same as some other religions where idols are worshipped and paper money burned. When I was visiting Chiengmai in Northern Thailand, I had joined a local tour to Chiang Rai. In the van were an American couple. The lady had told me that she was perplexed or rather confused with some of the things taught in Buddhism, like people being reborn etc. I have heard of people mistaking the tree for the forest. Do you suppose in the same way too, people missed the true essence of the Dhamma?

Comments

debasis said…
Do you know Footiam if you talk religion to a football player he will answar in terms of football.Every man can not be religious.Your pastlife and present effort is the key
footiam said…
If we can only remember the past, maybe we'd not be so confused.