Vesak 2010: Getting Carried Away

Not everyone likes or understands the 2Ms, movies and meditation, I mean. On Vesak night 2010, after lighting the lamps, some of us decided to go for a stroll. There are good tarred roads strong enough for the lorries and other vehicles that bring devotees and rations to SSB. It is nice to walk on these roads at nights when there are brightly-lit lamps on the curbs.Sitting down with friends on a platform that offers a bird eye view of the twinkling Taiping town made it easy to get carried away with frivolous talk with friends. Perhaps, the little Buddha statue there would remind some of us of these which I have recently picked up from a book: The 16 Dreams of King Pasenadi - Aware of the sufferings caused by unmindul speech and the inability t listen to others, I resolve to cultivate loving speech and listening skills in order to bring joy and happiness to others and relieve others of their sufferings. Knowing that words can create happiness or sufferings, I resolve to learn to speak truthfully, with words that can inspire self-confidence, joy and understanding. I am determined not to spread news that I do not know to be certain and not to criticise or condemn anything when I am not sure of the facts. I shall refrain from uttering words that can cause divisions or discord. That's a more detailed version of the fourth of the Buddhist Five Precepts: Musāvāda veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Cool web site, I hadn't come across dhammadelights.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Continue the good work!