Why Karma?

It seems not too long ago that a 6.3-magnitude earthquake hit Christchurch in New Zealand and then late last night, I received an SMS from someone about this 8.9 quake that unleashed a 23-foot tsunami in Japan (inset). In both cases, properties had been damaged and lives claimed. Inevitably, I was reminded of the 2008 Sichuan earthquake in China and Sharon Stone's scathing remarks about the earthquake being caused by China's bad karma earned from mistreating Tibet. People supposedly die together in great numbers because of group karma. While one may be skeptical about group karma, there is no reason perhaps to attribute everything to personal karma. In the case of natural disasters like an earthquake for example, people die just because they are there when the disaster strike. Why must karma enters the picture?

Comments

Liudmila said…
Buddhism (Tibetan) explains it as the imbalance of the elements. That is why the practices are important, done all over the world, too: to help to harmonize the elements.

By the way, Footiam, I have a HTML code for a site map in Blogger (look any of my blogs, I added them -a new pages, in side bars). They say it's good for indexation and PR. I did not found your mail in my contacts (? I remember I had it). If you are interested, send me a mail liudmila@lazy-yogi.com
footiam said…
Yes, I would love to have the code. Thanks!