Don't Know Much About Mudras

That probably was Ngajat Iban, a dance performed by Iban warriors on their return from battles during the 16th century; but now it's a welcome dance during the Gawai Dayak harvest festival. Then of course I wasn't sure for I hadn't seen the Sarawakian dance before even though I'd spent a night in a long house once during Gawai; at least not one with dancers all dressed up in elaborate dancing costumes. It was at a dance camp in Kuala Lumpur that I saw this dance; besides some modern dances like hip hop, swing;  and some traditional ones too; Malay, Chinese and Indian.  The American Indian lass who gave the instructions on the Indian classical dance during the Bollywood session mentioned mudras, I remember. Now, mudras; that - one could see many of them in the statues of Buddha. The hands and fingers of the Buddha statues, are all symbolic, spiritual gesture and each mudra, I'm led to believe, has different meaning. As it is, still struggling with the basic Five Buddhist precepts, I know not their meanings.













Comments