Sakka's Vows


Saka, I read was a group of nomadic Iranian peoples who in the past inhabited the northern and eastern Eurasian Steppe and the Tarim Basin.  Sakka, in Buddhist literature, I understand, is the lord of the devas; the latter being non-human beings who has godlike characteristics. I don't know if the Saka still exists or  Sakka exists but I rather like the seven vows the latter undertook when a human being:
  • As long as I live may I support my parents.
  • As long as I live may I respect the family elders.
  • As long as I live may I speak gently.
  • As long as I live may I not speak divisively.
  • As long as I live may I dwell at home with a mind devoid of the stain of stinginess, freely generous, open-handed, delighting in relinquishment, devoted to charity, delighting in giving and sharing.
  • As long as I live may I speak the truth.
  • As long as I live may I be free from anger, and if anger should arise in me may I dispel it quickly.

Comments