This I own

I remember liking  The Occupants, a movie starring Chow Yuan Fatt and Sally Yeh, back in 1984. The occupants in the movie, refers to the spirits that haunt a house. Probably, the late Reverend Abhinyyana put this in my mind that spirits in haunted house normally think they own the house, thus refusing to leave. Buddhism, I understand, do not believe in the existence of self. It follows then that one probably is not expected to really own anything, a house, a car, a daughter, a son, not even oneself but somewhere, I read this verse:
“I am the owner of my karma.
I inherit my karma.
I am born of my karma.
I am related to my karma.
I live supported by my karma.
Whatever karma I create, whether good or evil, that I shall inherit.”                          
On one hand, you don't own your self; thereby, you don't own a house, a car on any material things. On the other hand too, you own your karma. The concept of non-self, anattā is, I suppose, more profound than I thought.

Comments