A Tribute

Oh, what a pleasant surprise! Thuan Hee had taken part in the musical extravaganza  in Petaling Jaya! Long before that, I had received a short video clip promoting the event. The musical extravaganza showcased Buddhist hymns. I suppose you don't have Buddhist hymns back in Buddha's time; maybe no chanting even. In Malaysia, Buddhist hymns were introduced in the 50s and became rather popular in the 70s. I'd believe it if someone tells me that Buddhist hymns have Christian roots. After all, Christians sing hymns when they go to churches on Sunday.
Buddhist traditionally don't go to temples on  a weekly basis, let alone sing hymns. I always think it nice to be able to sing hymns in churches. Anyway, as far as Buddhist hymns are concerned, the elders reportedly  frowned on them. Elders, I suppose are senior monks and there was at least one who encouraged it, the late Reverend K. Dhammananda, author of the simple yet delightful, What Buddhists Believe? The musical extravaganza, I was of the impression, was also a tribute to him.


Comments

Sally Lee said…
Think Thuan Hee is the one standing in the middle, am I right?