Happy Ponggal!

There are lots of Ponggal messages in my WhatsApp groups; today being Ponggal, the Tamil thanksgiving festival to celebrate the end of winter solstice and a bountiful harvest. While the Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad wishes Happy Ponggal to the Tamil community in Malaysia, there was news of a circular purportedly by the Malaysian Education Ministry that states that Ponggal  is a religious festival and is thus haram; that means forbidden, for Muslims. Saying thanks and being thankful for something seems to me like a good value; and since it does not cause sufferings to others, it should be all right with Buddhism. Besides, I suppose it doesn't at all break any of layman's Five Precepts:
  • Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami. I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
  • Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami. I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.
  • Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami. I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.
  •  Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami. I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.
  • Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyam. I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.


Comments