News! : Nun Jailed

Today being the ninth day of Chinese New Year, I wouldn't be surprised if many Chinese families still gamble away their time, gamble literally that is. I remember as kids, we used to gamble with our siblings, friends and relatives during Chinese New Year, playing cards and placing bets. Parents seem to be less strict with children then, allowing them to gamble but immediately put an end to it once the festive season is over. Never think much about it until today when a headline screams 80-year-old nun jailed in US after stealing US$800,000. One of the reasons cited was the nun gambled in Las Vegas. Then, I recall the Buddhist Five Precepts:
  • Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
  • Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami  I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.
  • Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami  I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.
  • Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami  I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.
  • Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
I recall someone jokingly said gambling isn't mentioned here because unlike drinking, gambling isn't a problem among Indians. Buddhism as we know, has its birthplace in ancient India.

More News!

Comments